One of the programming projects I’ve been working on is a Social Network in PHP using MySQL databases. Here’s an update on how it’s going. Here’s the improvements I’ve added since last time.
- The Social Network now has a favicon
- The top navigation bar is flush with the top of the page.
- Friending! You can be friends with multiple users
- You can request and deny to be in a friending relation with another user.
- The navigation bar alerts of new friend requests
- Friends are displayed on the homepage
- There is a new alert area that has pending friend requests and ways to fill in missing profile information.
- If a user has not filled out all his table is not complete, the alert area will nag a user to fill in the information.
- It is now possible to view other profiles of other users
In building this social network, I’ve tried to think ahead and implement things with the future in mind. In the background, I am storing things in a relations table. Right now it only stores requests and friendships, but it’s been designed to be used to store users who block each other. This is a feature I hope to implement in the next version.