The basics: I’m 26 years old, male, and live in Northern Virginia. Originally from Maryland’s Eastern Shore, I studied Computer Science at Hampden-Sydney College, graduating in 2012. Now, code for Deloitte. Previously, I had a great time as student leader and positive influence at Hampden-Sydney.
Things I’ve done in the past:
- Junior and Senior year, I was Hampden-Sydney’s Director of Student Elections. I ran elections and moved the election process away from paper to an online secure PHP based online voting system.
- In 2011, while still a student, in the sudden absence of a director a month before move-in day, I stepped in to serve Hampden-Sydney as the full time co-Director of the New Student Orientation, a series of events for over 330 students. This was a crash course in event details, logistics, recruitment, human resources, problem solving, and customer service.
- For two years, I was technical director of WWHS-FM 92.1, Hampden-Sydney’s college radio station. There, I enjoyed learning about and using advanced audio and broadcasting equipment.
- I also served as Hampden-Sydney’s New Media Evangelist, advising and helping multiple offices on campus incorporate social media presence into their operations.
I firmly believe that there are many amazing things in the world just waiting for me to learn about them, that everything and everyone have value, and there’s no such thing as a stupid question. Thus, my interests can be eccentric and eclectic, at times.
- While I love learning about history, I really love learning about less well know parts of history like the Byzantine Empire.
- In 2013, I had a new years resolution so trying a new dish every week. Among the things I had for the first time were Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Thai, Cuban, Lebanese, Jewish, Japanese, and Chinese Cuisine.
- My top artists in my iTunes Library range from the Dutch symphonic metal band Within Temptation to America’s pop punk/alternative rock Yellowcard. Also in there are Evanescence, South Korea’s Super Junior, ABBA, Amanda Lear, 90’s favorite ‘N Sync, One Direction, and lots of Techno music.
- I’m a transportation enthusiast. Particularly, I love reading and learning about Washington’s Metrorail system–operational details, train signaling and control, rolling stock, etc. I would also like the Silver Line to open.
- The shows I watch–on my Roku–range from the dramatic House of Cards to the cheesy 90’s hit Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Some other stuff I watch includes South Park, the groundbreaking ABC Family show with genuine deaf characters Switched at Birth, Game of Thrones, Greek, Skins (UK), The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report. Fun Fact: Stephen Colbert went to Hampden-Sydney.