The basics: I’m 26 years old, male, and live in Northern Virginia. Originally from Maryland’s Eastern Shore, I studied Computer Science at Hampden-Sydney College, graduating in 2012. Now, I code for Deloitte, supporting the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs Non-Citizen and American Citizen Services domestically and at over 240 posts globally.
Things I’ve done:
Lead developer for three of sixteen applications that comprise the Modernized Immigrant
Visa (MIV) program, a joint initiative between the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security to process Immigrant Visas electronically.
- Back in college, I was technical director of WWHS-FM 92.1, Hampden-Sydney’s college radio station.It was awesome experience working with an FM transmitter and managing the IT for a mostly automated radio station.
- Also back in College, I was Hampden-Sydney’s Director of Student Elections. I migrated elections from paper to an electronic PHP-based
I firmly believe that there are many amazing things in the world just waiting for me to learn about them, that everything and everyone have value, and there’s no such thing as a stupid question. Thus, my interests can be eccentric and eclectic, at times.
- I’ve recently really gotten into reading about renewable energy and electric cars. Technology and economics on the subject are advancing rapidly. If you only listen to one talk this year, make it be Tony Seba‘s Clean Disruption Keynote
- I’m a transportation enthusiast. Particularly, I love reading and learning about Washington’s Metrorail system–operational details, train signaling and control, rolling stock, etc. I can get quite animated about future transportation plans.
- While I love learning about history, I really love learning about less well know parts of history like the Byzantine Empire.
- In 2013, I had a new years resolution so trying a new dish every week. Among the things I had for the first time were Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Thai, Cuban, Lebanese, Jewish, Japanese, and Chinese Cuisine.
- My top artists in my iTunes Library range from the Dutch symphonic metal band Within Temptation to America’s pop punk/alternative rock Yellowcard. Also in there are Evanescence, South Korea’s Super Junior, ABBA, Amanda Lear, 90’s favorite ‘N Sync, One Direction, and lots of House music.
- The shows I watch–on my Roku–range from the dramatic House of Cards to the cheesy 90’s hit Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Some other stuff I watch includes South Park, the groundbreaking ABC Family show with genuine deaf characters Switched at Birth, Game of Thrones, Greek, Skins (UK), The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report. Fun Fact: Stephen Colbert went to Hampden-Sydney.